Big things are coming down the pike for Duke basketball and I’m not just talking about this year’s second ranked squad. The players on Duke’s radar for the future have been doing big things with their high schools and the future looks forever bright inside Cameron Indoor Stadium.
The high school season has just started to heat up with many schools beginning in earnest this week. Both signed recruits have their teams off to quick starts while the unsigned guys continue their tear through the competition as well.
To track every player Duke is involved with, check out our recruiting targets page.
Class of 2013
- Semi Ojeleye scored 58 points for Ottawa (Kan.) last Thursday and led his team to 102-29 win over Wray (Col.). The No. 41 player in the class, Ojeleye will be yet another scoring option on the wing for the Blue Devils when he comes to campus in the fall.
- Matt Jones and DeSoto (Tex.) have been playing for almost a month now and Jones has his squad ranked No. 1 in the TABC/Texas Preps Basketball Magazine Top 25 for 5A schools at 13-1. DeSoto will play Pinkston Tuesday and are coming off two wins in which their opposition have scored less than 35 points.
- Jabari Parker has been working himself back into playing shape and returned to full contact practice on Sunday. Simeon (Ill.) will open their Chicago Public School schedule on Dec. 17 against Carver and will do so without some key players who will be suspended for the first three games for a situation that followed last season’s Chicago City Championship.
Class of 2014
- Tyus Jones scored 20 points but his Apple Valley (Wisc.) squad dropped their first game of the season, losing to Park Center, 72-70. Jones added eight assists on 7-for-17 shooting on the night and is now averaging 26.5 points per game this year.
- Ahmed Hill, who Duke recently just showed interest in, has been red hot so far. Hill led his Aquinas (Ga.) to a win this week with a 41-point performance against Richmond Academy on Friday.
- Theo Pinson was visited by Tom Crean and Indiana last week. Indiana adds to a list of interested candidates that includes UNC, Duke and NC State. Click here for a video of Pinson’s game from last week against New Hope Christian (N.C.)
Stay tuned to Devils in Durham for more on how the Blue Devils of tomorrow are performing. Also, remember that Andre Dawkins and Rodney Hood will likely both be joining the team on the court next season.
The future is oh so bright.